Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Message, Developing Patience, Romans 5

I have to admit this applies to me more than anyone knows. I was absolutely born without any patience. I've seemed to get better over the last few years -- only because it's gotten me in trouble so many times. The worst thing is that my husband is the poster boy for patience. He is never in a hurry. Living with someone like him can get on the nerves of somebody like me. People who are too laid back drive me crazy. They'll probably live longer than me, though, so I'm trying to change.

... We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next.


Don't you love the term "passionate patience"? Oh, that I could become passionate about something that valued, that strong. I guess to develop passion for something, you'd need to spend a lot of time studying it, thinking about it, trying it out in different circumstances, actually using it. You know, to get good at something, do it over and over again on a consistent basis.

I'm a jump-right-in person with my emotions. When I get angry, I want to shout it out right here and now. When I want something done, I'm talking right now! I'm just pitiful.

But today's reading gives me hope for myself. I'll begin practicing patience every day. Put reminders around the house to remind me. That kind of thing. I'll let you all know, as we go along, how that's working.

Read. Think. Pray. Live.

Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs