Thursday, November 6, 2008

New Book About Scrapbooking Alert

I'm excited today about a new book. Paper, Scissors, Death: A Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-N-Craft Mystery. Yes! It's a mystery involving scrapbooking! Now, that's just cool.

What teased my ears first, though, is the author's name, Joanna Campbell Slan. I'd read her book, Scrapbook Storytelling, years ago. I saw it in a bookstore and scooped it up immediately because it just spoke to me. Almost out loud. A book about family storytelling? My heart's desire.

That early book about scrapbooking set me on my current path. It gave me the ideas needed to start on my storytelling passion and writing career. God knows our heart's desire, and he puts the right things in your path. I always loved writing and had done a lot of editorial work to that point. But I never had a real focus on what I deep down wanted to do. God knew.

After I read Joanna Slan's book, I just started doing the things she wrote about. I used my family pictures to tell life stories. Then one day I got on Ancestry.com and began researching my ancestors. Poor, Catholic German immigrants who ended up settling in downtown Cincinnati amid the poverty in the 1800s.

Then it became more than just scrapbooking. Learning about my family inspired me, gave me roots I didn't know about, added a lift to a low self-esteem issue, pumped up my life purpose, and I knew I wanted to share my stories, including my own story, with other people who might be interested in, identify with, or gain insight from the events that shaped my life. I didn't feel so lowly about growing up in a poor place anymore. I started feeling proud of my heritage.

That's, in Martha's words, is "A Good Thing!"

And I didn't even have to pay any shrinks or anything.

Then I knew I wanted to teach other people how to write their stories because it's something we all truly need to do for ourselves and our families.

I still believe that. Today more than ever.

But, back to Joanna's book. You can go here to read about this tempting new book and sit in on a Q&A session where she also tells how she's included "great scrapbooking tips, a contest for a weekend in St. Louis, and a coupon for 50 Free Digital Prints from Snapfish.com."

Now, you know you want to get this book if you're a cropper. And who doesn't like a good mystery. I can devour one in an evening or on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs