Thursday, January 7, 2010

Heros



Not long before the New Year, when I read Stacy Julian's book, The Big Picture, I visited one of the sites she suggested.  Knowing what an awesome human Stacy is, even beyond her scrapbook genius, I was so very touched by the site she led to, Values: Your Everyday Heroes (www.values.com/your-everyday-heroes).  On this site you can write about your own heroes, either throughout the world or in your family.  You can read remarkable quotes by great heroes.  I love  best the "Good News" section which plays up all the good things people are doing in the world.  I read this one yesterday:


The Making of a Hero:  In the wake of a thwarted terrorist attack on a Northwest flight to Detroit, a renowned psychologist talks about what makes ordinary people do heroic things.  News Week


You can follow the Newsweek link at Heroes.com to read the rest of the story, but it does my heart--and my mind--good to dwell on the positive, not just all the negative junk coming at us on a daily basis, on TV, the radio, in the newspapers, frightening gossip spread by people.

Maybe that's one reason we scrapbook.  Isn't that a way powerful statement of how we value those we love as well as our love of life?  It's also our solace, our distraction from everyday worldly worries.  When I'm working in my scrapbook, I'm thinking only good thoughts...well, maybe also thinking about running out of white cardstock again.

Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs