Thursday, March 11, 2010

Importance of Family



Last week I drove to Cincinnati, my home town, for the funeral of my Aunt Dot.  I loved her, and she loved me.  I spent a lot of time at her house over the years growing up.  Being the oldest grandchild on Dad's side of the family, Aunt Dot hired me as babysiter, starting when I was seven or eight years old.  That's when I'd sit on her kitchen floor and play "paperd dolls" with Mar Lou, her first child who is five years youger than me.  Mary Lou loved paper dolls.  Aunnt Dot and Uncle Bill went on to have seven children.  (Yes, we were a Catholic family, so I got more babysitting jobs over the years.

Connecting with seven of my cousins and their spouses and children was a huge blessing in my life.  Your roots and your family cannot equal anything else you may possess.  Family is everything.

Sometimes it's hard to stay connected.  Sometimes I can't connect with my own grown children.  There are all kinds of thieves in this world that can try to steal these precious moments from us.  It's sad. 

The memories are too important.  As we make them, we need to remember them and pass them on to the young people in the family.  Above is a layout I put together with a couple of photos to comemorate not only the passing of my beloved aunt but the joy of spending time with my extended family back in my home town.

Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs