Thursday, May 20, 2010

Simple Scrapbook Strategies


Library of Memories Class is finished, and Thursdays aren't as exciting now.  Every Thursday morning, first thing I did was pull up my class on Big Picture Scrapbooking and see what Stacy had cooked up for us that week.  What a great experience.  Everything I heard about the class was true.  It indeed changed my scrapboking process.  I'm loving it more and more as I implement each and every system and hone and customize it to my own life.  If this is what you're after, read on. 

Always Be Current
How many time have you said, or heard somebody else say, "I'm so behind in my scrapbooking."  This isn't true for me anymore...  Because I don't just keep adding more and more photos to be scrapped in my photo box.  I'm not using a photo box anymore.  When my prints come in, I slide them into my 3-up photo storage binder IF I plan on scrapbooking them.

Now that I have my system in place, I don't "have" to scrapbook every single picture.  Or I don't have to scrapbook them right now.  I take a lot of the extras and file them away in my "photo category drawers" for later.  I always know where to find a photo when I want it because of my filing system. 

I love scrapping current photos because ... and this is going to sound strange... because if something happened to me today or tomorrow, I will leave my scrapbooks up to date... with the overflow in my filing drawers for my family.  Besides, isn't it fun to sit down with the just-taken photos and slap 'em on a page and get creative?  Isn't that part of what makes this wonderful art so fun? 

I love everyday pics of our regular life.  I don't just want to capture big events.  When you see one of your kids doing something cute, don't you want to snap that picture, print it out (or take it to one-hour printing) and get it into one of your albums right away?  That's a BIG part of what scrapbooking is about...keeping current with your everyday life.  At least it should be. 


One of my everyday layouts  Of all the snow pictures, I chose these two to commemorate the event

The easiest way to stay current and also be able to chronicle those every day memories on-the-go is to select just one or several standout photos from events and spend some creative time with those.  The rest from that event can be filed, either in a photo box or a storage album, or in category filing drawers like me.  The reason I like the storage binder so much (for photos I'll probably scrap in the near future) is that we can flip through the pages and see our pictures that aren't in scrapbook albums yet.  It's like having them in albums, but all you've done is slide them into the pockets for temporary storage.  I love it, love it.

If you've scrapped just one or two pages of an event using the BEST several photos, you can stay current.  If you feel like then going through your binder or photo box and pulling the rest of that event out to scrap, you can do it.  Also remember that with slide-in album protectors now, you can slip layouts in and out if you just _have to_ stay strictly chronological.  I use Creative Memories' Side-Loading Protectors now.  I create my pages on cardstock and printed paper and just slip them into the protectors--no bound pages.

This is my Number 1 way to stay current.  It makes sense, and it works. 



Digi Layout of My Two Youngest Granddaughters, Erica & Rachel, both age 8


HOW TO STAY CREATIVE
Sometimes when we're overwhelmed with a backlog of photos enugh to fill another house, we tend to just want to get them in the albums and get it over with.  I found myself doing this after 10 years of abiding by the chronological, scrap-every-picture law. 

We want to have fun doing this, and most of us want to feel those creative juices fill our heads and come out on our pages. 

MY NEW RULES OF CREATIVITY: 

Learn to Lift.  I started learning from the masters.  You know who they are.  Becky Higgins, Ali Edwards, Stacy Julian, Cathy Zielske, and a load of others on the big worldwide net we love so much.  In the magazines you'll find them and their spectacular designs.  Lift those layouts!  In scrapbooking, it's legal.  It's not plagarism.  If you use somebody else's layout design publicly, you need to give credit.  But they're tons of "sketches" or page maps for free on the net you can use for your own layouts.  Eventually, you'll find yourself becoming more creative.  It's just like annything else in life.  The more you do it, the better you get at it.

Start Simple.  Simple is beautiful.  When you focus on just the best photo or two, instead of using all of the pictures on multiple two-page spreads, you start with a simple concept that ends up being more creative.  That's not to say you can't use more photos on a spread, but to stay current, this is the way to go:  document the here and now in your life right now.

The digital layouts on this blog may not look simple, but they are.  Not too much glitz or bling.  Some complementary paper, a title, and of course the story.  Maybe just one small bling.  Digital pages are fast and easy to show off your creativity.  Strictly paper takes a little longer, but the same rule applies.


This definitely is an evereyday layout, my garden.  I like to look back in my gardening section of my albums and see what we'd done in past years. 

Check back for more Scrapbook Strategies.  I'll be sharing some more of my organization systems as I upgrade them and layouts that you can "lift."  Feel free.  We're all in this together.

If you're new to scrapbooking, or want to get started, please leave comments, and I'll be glad to help. 

The digital layouts here were done with Creative Memoies' Storybook Creator.  Log on to my CM Page to learn more.

Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs