Monday, October 11, 2010

Craft Journal Entry--What are you Making?

The season of giving is soon upon us, so my question today is:  What are you making?  For gifts, I mean. 

Busy week here, but that doesn't mean I can't create.  Cooking is creating, and I'm onto some new recipes and a new book for my daughter and granddaughters.  The old one I put together about 23 years ago needs to be revised.  Some recipes taken out and a lot more added.  This time, however, I'm going to have the book bound, instead of the three-ring notebook type.

I've got a short stack of washcloths I've knitted in some of the new Peaches and Cream Stripes yarn, and some heady scented homemade soap I bought from a fellow crafter to wrap inside the cloths.  Then I'll just tie them all up with beautiful ribbon.


I'm knitting and crocheting bags.  The patterns are from Just Bags, a Lion Brand book.  I'm working on a knitted tote and have finished a few smaller crocheted bags. There are a few beautiful purses in the book I'm dying to make for the granddaughters.  We'll see who wins the countdown, Chrisstmas or me.  I'm loving this.  I'll post some photos soon.

I'm working on my Women's Memoir.com ebook this week, and of course trying to put in some labor on my Memories in Order ebook which I hope to publish before the end of the year.  My next ScrapMoir appears this Thursday on http://www.womensmemoirs.com/, and it involves writing about the "sensations" of your life. 


If that's not enough, I've done some more work on the family history for my memoir:  Live Over-the-Rhine: A Memoir of the Families. 




In between my crafty pursuits and writing, I'm stealing some extra minutes to stock up the food pantry and the freezer.  It's that "nesting" time of the year.  My mind always goes in that direction when the wind gets a little crisp and the leaves begin falling.  I want to feather my nest for the winter festival.  I'll be knitting and reading in front of the fire and browsing the seed catgalogs and planning the perfect garden.

 I used the Kitchen Garden Planner last year, as we started moving away from the long rows here on the farm.  A few raised beds will supply some pretty good crops for the table.  I confess we ate so many salads from the abundant lettuce we grew, I thought we'd sprout bunny ears.


Scrapbooking????  Well, my retreat is the 21st of this month, so I'll be catching up with all my pictures down in the mountains of Alabama for a long weekend--soaking up the air, sleeping good, visiting with my girlfriends, and eating all that yummy food those awesome cooks make for us.

All this doesn't leave a whole lot of time for reading, but I have to get my fix somehow, so I've been squeezing in some Kindle treats for nighttime reading.  Enjoying some very good ones on journaling.  I'm currently in the middle of Writing and Being: Embracing Your Life Through Creative Journaling, by G. Lynn Nelson.  This may be the best book on journaling ever for me. 

All in all, the Creative Life is Good!

What about you?  What are you doing and making?  Care to write about it?  Comments welcome.

Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs