Wednesday, November 24, 2010

November 24th Page, Stitch, & Meal

Well, I did a typical woman thing (at least I think it is).  After laying on the couch long enough, watching two men go about their way, ignoring the dirt and piles of junk growing around them, no clue as to Thanksgiving just a day away, I got up and began doing it myself, hobbling as it were with the bum knee.  Hurling insults of course as I did.

Whoa, what happened?????

Instantly shocked, one pulled out the vacuum while the other threw a load of laundry in the washer and ran in the kitchen and began scrubbing. 

Does it always take jolting them out of their oblivion for them to get it? 

The house looking a lot more inviting for a holiday now, the two of them made a pan of GF biscuits following the recipe I'd placed on the bar.  They practically wrenched the measuring cup out of my hand.  The biscuits didn't rise as I thought they would, but, hey, they'll be crumbled anyway for dressing. 

Then came a batch of cornbread, also for dressing.  T his was made, as I anticipated, following the recipe on the back of the Quaker's plain yellow cornmeal and adding the GF flour mix I put together.  This bread turned out looking identical to real cornbread.  I want to make another batch of this. 

Later today I'll make a loaf of white rice flour bread.

I threw the frig door open on my rampage this morning and started throwing old food onto the table.  Sadly, a whole bag of chicken had spoiled which we could have eaten had anyone cooked it.  Instead we had leftover chili for two days.

You don't want to know what I had to say about the spoiled chicken and how sick of chili I was.

At any rate, I'm getting some of the Thanksgiving meal prepared today.

I've cast on 116 stitches of Lion Brand fluffy white "Jiffy" yarn for a "Tweens & Teens" hat, which will have a few stripes of my leftover Red Heart shimmery black yarn I used for one of the purses.  It's really a cute hat for the granddaughters. 

Last night I wrote a book review for Goodreads on Eating In, the book about not eating out in New York City.  I wrote it by hand in my writer's journal while plopped up in bed on my pillows.  Today I'll post it on Goodreads and continue taking notes in my journal about the one I'm reading now, Spoon Fed: How Eight Cooks Saved My Life, by Kim Severson, food writer for the New York Times.  This is a really good book, and I've been saving quotes right and left. 

Eating In was ok, but a little too "hoity-toity" for me.  I do applaud the author for what she did, which was not easy, saving money and learning to cook in a time and place where it's almost unheard of. 

I hope I can get my camera software back on my hard drive.  Son Eric did a repair job on my laptop and I have to re-install it.  I want to show photos of my knit creations and some of the finished food dishes, especially the breads.  One has to have photos to show.

Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs