Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Page, A Stitch, and A Meal a Day

As a crafter, a writer, and a homemaker, I often ask myself, "How can I do it all?" 

I don't think I'm alone in this pursuit of wanting to do all the things I want to do.  We want our homes clean, comfy, and attractive, our meals served up tasty and nutritious, our family well taken care of, and time left over to do what our hearts are calling us to do.

In my world, I'm called to read good books, write stories, create scrapbooks, and use my hands to make lots of different items, especially yarn crafts--knit and crochet. 

Many women are not like me and you.  They do exactly what they have time for and don't worry about the rest.  We can't do that.  We figure out how to "make" time to get it all in.  Because that's who we are.

We are Creative

I've set out to figure a way I can keep up with all of  my interests and finish the projects I've taken on.

It's called "A Page, A Stitch, and A Meal a Day," and I will keep myself in line by blogging here how I'm doing.  I want to be held accountable.

First, the Page a Day is for scrapbooking or writing, or both.  I can write a page a day easily; not so much with scrapbooking.  However, I can pick out a photo or selection of photos, a few sheets of paper, a layout design to get me going, and lay them out on my work table or make a page kit.  Any of these will qualify for my page a day. Plus I'll be posting about pages in books I'm reading.

The stitch is some work done on any of my yarn projects.  A row of a blanket or bag, or a wool cap.  Just a row will do.  I don't have to finish the item in a day.

The meal of course is what I cook for dinner.  At present, I'm striving to cook gluten free for the entire family, not just for my youngest son..  It's so much easier to prepare one meal.  One pot of pasta, not two, just one loaf of bread, one pie cruest or cake we all can eat.  Therefore, my Meal a Day will most likely be along this theme, although at the same time on a nutritious and environmental note.  I'm trying to buy food as local as possible and grow as much as we can ourselves. 

If you'd like to take part in this challenge, go for it.  Leave comments about a few things you want to strive for and post your progress for others to see. 

Below is a sample post.  Today's Page, Stitch and Meal:

I wrote in my writer's notebook the content for this blog and outlined my next article for Women's Memoirs.com. 

I knitted about half of a cotton washcloth, one of many I'm making for Christmas gifts. 

We had a funeral to go to today and the typical mid-afternoon meal afterwards at the church.  Since I'm off my leg for the time being because of an injury, I instructed my husband to make what I consider the easiest of all dishes.  Stewed Potatoes. 

I have a good supply of potatoes and needed to use them, so all he had to do was wash, peel, cut into cubes and boil.  Then I had him drain them and add butter.  I stood up for a bit and added a sprinkling of paprika.  Can't get much easier than that, but this is in my file of "comfort food."   Oh, and of course it's gluten free.  No wheat in potatoes. 

Tomorrow I want to go to Whole Foods in Nashville and see if I can get some Sweet Sorghum Flour (gluten-free) to make a loaf of no-knead bread and I also want to experiment with a good pan of GF (gluten-free) cocrnbread.  This is research for Thanksgiving dressing.  Last year, I made two.  One for Jeff and one for everyone else.  I hope to make just one -- a good one -- this year. 

Tomorrow, ya'll.




Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs