Tuesday, February 8, 2011

More Snow, More Creating


Three inches here yesterday, and we were on Nashville's Channel 4 News.  Camera and crew just a few miles from our farm, the little corner market and gas station. 

No reason here to get out on the roads.  I'm perfectly content to stay in warm jammies and play--scrapbooking, knitting, cooking.   And I'm so glad I stocked up on food last week.

Hubs today is bottling his 2010 wine in the kitchen.  He makes several batches a year, plus makes fruit jams and jellies for our pantry shelves. 



And speaking of the pantry, my man cleaned ours out over the last few days.  I'm proud of it.  Now I can really concentrate on filling those floor-to-ceiling shelves with the foods we'll need for a year--at least, that's the goal.  We may not accomplish that in one year, but we've began, and that's the important thing.

This month I'm focusing on dried beans, split peas, and lentils.  Last month was rice.  Buying in bulk and storing in glass jars.  Then in the next few days (regardless of snow) I'll be working in the garden on early spring veggies. I'm beginning to feel independent, thanks to my last finished book, Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation


I'm still reading friend Susan Tweit's Walking Nature Home: A Life's Journey (Louann Atkins Temple Women & Culture), and learning some important stuff.  Autoimmune diseases are big in my family.  Celiac disease (son Jeff), lupus (daughter Sherry), and my father and his three younger brothers and sister all died of Alzeiheimer's.  In her book, Susan researches her own diagnosed connective tissue disease and shares her story in this memoir. 

If my Mom was still alive, she would love this book, as she was curious and mesmorized by answers to medical mysteries.  Mom was never diagnosed in her lifetime, though she was sick all of her life.  Looking back now, I wonder if she had celiac.  Eeating certain foods affected her badly.  She died of a sudden abdominal aortic anurysm. 


Also reading on Kindle Vampire Knits: Projects to Keep You KNitting from Twilight to Dawn.  Ok, I may have accidentally stumbled upon some of the most far-out (yes, I still do hippie talk) knit patterns ever put into a book.  I saw "Love Bites For Him," a gorgeous knit for your man and then saw the purple cape on the cover and screamed out loud, Mine!"  That's why I love Kindle.  I don't have to wait.  Kindle was created for people like me.  Click and get within mere seconds.  I also love that you can get free "preview" samples before you buy the book.  You can have Kindle on your computer hard drive--and that's free too.  So if you're a knitter upload a sample of Vampire Knits and see if you agree with me. 

Scrapbooking of course.  I worked a while yesterday on the Family History Scrapbook, my Memoir of Over the Rhine.  Then hopped over to catching up on more recent events.  I did some serious thinking on how I would scrap 2010, because I'm at the end of 2009 in my albums. 

Thinking about  Becky Higgins Project Life except using my own album and huge stash of products.  Basically, this is a "year in the life" type project, where you choose the best of one year's photos and memorabelia, make a title page of 4 to 6 highlight pictures, the title, decorative card or two, and a journaling card.  Becky has a whole kit including the album and a video that shows how to put the album together.  She uses the divided page protectors.

I thought I'd use my regular 12x12-inch pages and adopt her layout style.  In other words, place my photos on the page using invisible plastic pockets.  Becky's pages are beautiful and classic.  I do have some of those 3-ring page protectors and a 3-ring binder album, but I still like the strap-hinge albums and pages best.  I probably always will.  They have a craftsmanship and beauty that the other albums lack.  Everybody has their own style.

Time to sit at my work table and begin.  I may be able to take pictures today and post them tomorrow.  When I take scrapbook breaks, I'm knitting.  Then cooking -- herb baked chicken and potatoes today, and maybe...just maybe a cake.

Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs