Sunday, March 6, 2011

Little Words: Create, Story & Light


 Amy Kingsford's, "Make a Vintage-Style Brooch:One Little Word-McGyver Style






My One Little Word:  "Story"
 Today Amy Kingsford's creative tutorial on Debbie Hodge's website Get it Scrapped brought to mind the "One LittleWord" I'd chosen...actually borrowed from Ali Edwards in December 2009:  "Story."  When I read Ali's word choice of "Story" on her One Little Word page I knew her word was exactly the one little word I needed, every single day, to keep me on track with my 2010 goal.

Ali Edwards has been doing her "One Little Word" since 2007.  This year her word is "Light."  I like that word, but I want to keep "Story" at least another year.  I don't know, maybe I'll keep it as a Life Word. 

I found that when you choose your one little word for the year, you somehow are drawn to moving in line with your word.  For me, I've been writing my story -- my family's story -- pretty seriously since I began having my one little word guide me.

Amy Kingsford says in her Vintage Brooch Tutorial that her one little word this year is "Create."  She likes to wear her brooch to remind her.

I'm using old photos to remind me of my word.  One photo that drives me is "Sander Street."  Below is one of the very first scrapbook layouts I created with this old picture.




 I forgot my One Little Word when 2011 rolled 'round, but it didn't forget me.  I've continued to be called to task every single day to put the words on the page, to honor my heritage, my family, my roots.  It's the least I can do for the people who loved me and who influenced me.

No rich and famous people star in my family, but it's an exciting, "real" story all the same.

And my story is not the same as everyone else's.  No two stories are the same.  I have my story, and you have your story. 

I can use my old photos and my own words to tell my story the way it happened, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  It's a noble thing.  An important thing. 

What is your One Little Word?  What is Your Story?



Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs