Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Women in Your Life

March is Women's History Month.  Do you have a woman, or more than one, in your family or your life that you want to honor?  I've been blessed to have some great women in my life.  Below is the first I want to honor.  I'll be introducing you to others throughout the month.


My Mom of course, Dorothy Mae Jones Dean.

I learned forgiveness, acceptance, and unconditional love from my mother. 

I was grown with a family of my own before I learned of the hardships this woman endured, beyond the events she'd already told me about when I was younger.  Turns out I'm still learning about my Mom.  Last year I started to unravel a story I've been trying to uncover since I was 14 years old.  A story Mom would never share with me.  I'm writing the secrets for the first time in the book, Somewhere Over the Rhine: One Family's Memoir.  May 1st is my deadline for having it finished. 

I learned early on from Mom how she took care of her mother, my grandmother, Cecil Leeds Jones, as she died of breast cancer at the family home, a cheap wooden house on the banks of the Ohio River.  Mom said her mother would cry out in pain.  There were no medicines for poor people.  She told me the breast was eaten away and the odor of death filled the small bedroom and beyond. 

I cannot imagine what it took for my Mom to stay constantly by my grandmother's side and tend to her as she slowly died.  All the while as my grandfather pleasured himself with other women.  How sharp that pain must have been for Mom.  She was a gentle soul, quiet and shy.  How horribly she must have hurt.
I was being taken care by my paternal grandmother and aunts during most of this time. 

My grandmother, Cecile Leeds Jones, died before I celebrated my first birthday.

So often these days I feel my mother's presence, as if each year I draw closer to her, and with each story I unfold and write, she comes more to life for me.

Please share your stories or coments about important women in your life.  Let's honor our Women in March.
NOTE:  I'm still anxiously awaiting the release of the ebook.  It's been slated for sometime in the next few days.  Hang with me.

Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs