Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Apples & Prayers


Apples are weighing the trees to the ground this year.  So many to work with.  While I try to decide how many I'll can, how many for cold storage, I mull over the debate I did not watch last night.  Do I even want to watch a video or read the enormous mountain of comments?  I avoid Facebook for now.

Why is this election getting under my skin so badly?  

I feel like I want to scream out loud, "Leave me alone.  Leave me to my quiet, simple existence."  

Lies.  And so much hate.  So easy to see.    

Today I have apples.  I will store a lot in the two big drawers in the extra refrigerator.  I will can some to later use for apple pies and freeze pre-made apple pie filling.  

If I could buy refrigerated pie crusts for pies, I could fill my freezer with pies for the long winter.  Not so lucky.  Gluten-free pie crusts don't make up fast.  I have to do it though.  I have a boy who loves apple pies.  Don't we all?

I thank God today for my Apple-Peeler/Corer.  I've got the Pampered Chef one.  I celebrate the day I bought it at one of those fun parties.  

You probably think those apples on my counter in the above photo don't look like the beautiful, shiny ones you buy in the store. Ours are real apples.  No chemicals or wax shine on them.  Just plain, organic, crisp and sweet, real apples. Not even sure what kind they are.  My father-in-law planted the trees many, many years ago.  

I'll edit a chapter in my book and work on apples.  Keep my mind on what's good in life.  I think I'll make the "Frosted Big Apple Pie," from my Farm Journal's Complete Pie Cookbook," copyright 1965, that my husband's cousin Mary gave me as a gift a long time ago.  After we all flipped out over that Frosted Big Apple Pie she made.




Frosted Big Apple Pie

4 tsp. lemon juice
5 lbs. peeled, thinly sliced, tart apples (about 12 to 15 c.)
3/4 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Confectioners sugar frosting

Egg Yolk Pastry:  
5 c. sifted flour 
4 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. lard
2 egg yolks
Cold water

Roll out half the pastry into rectangle and use to line 15-1/2" x 10-1/2" jelly-roll pan.  Sprinkle lemon juice on apples.  Place half the apples in bottom of pastry-lined sheet.

Combine remaining ingredients, except apples and frosting.  Sprinkle half the mixture over apples in pan.  Spread remaining apple slices on top and sprinkle with remaining sugar-spice mixture.

Top with remaining pastry, rolled out; seal and crimp edges.  Brush with milk and sprinkle with a little sugar.  (Cut vents or prick with fork as for all 2-crust fruit pies.)  

Bake in hot oven (400 degrees F.) 50 minutes.  When cool, drizzle with confectioners sugar mixed with milk to make a thin icing.  Cut in squares to serve.  Makes 24 servings.

Another good pie in the Pie Cookbook is the Orange-Frosted Apple-Raisin Pie.  Mary made that one too, and she made it like the "Big" Pie.  

I found it on Amazon.  Let me know, if you make the Frosted Big Apple Pie, how it turned out.  

Try to keep your life simple.  Think about apples.

Women's Memoirs

Women's Memoirs
Women's Memoirs